[Dragaera] To Reign in Hell

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 21:26:46 PST 2009

My impression is that in traditional Jewish interpretations
and in modern scholarship, there's no connection among
the three passages in the Hebrew Bible that traditional
Christianity takes as referring to the Devil: the snake
in the Garden of Eden, the morning star in Isaiah, and
the Accuser in Job.  The morning star symbolizes a
Babylonian king.

The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer
looks pretty good.  It says the idea of a Revolt of the
Angels dates to the apocalyptic literature such as the
/Book of Enoch/ (last few centuries B.C.)  Those books
and early Christian writers connected Satan with the
rebellious angels and with the morning star in Isaiah.

Jerry Friedman