[Dragaera] Iorich ***SPOILERS****

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Jan 11 12:59:51 PST 2010

> He needs to either make peace with, or destroy, the *entire*
> "Organization" -- or die, of course.

I've thought that in the past, but I've been questioning that assumption,
especially after Iorich. Kragar is my primary example, but there are plenty
of others. Kragar's first loyalty is to his friend(s). His loyalty to House
Jhereg primarily extends as far as whatever it takes to hold onto his
territory.

Kragar's secretary and underlings appear to feel likewise. Their first
loyalty is to their boss. Their loyalty to House Jhereg once again extends
primarily as far as it benefits them to be loyal to it. In this sense,
"House Jhereg" really is a fiction. It's not a House steeped in tradition,
it's a House steeped in self-interest.

The Council and their immediate underlings are the ones out to get Vlad.
Others take an interest in as much as convenience, opportunity, and greed
for the reward allow. Vlad can walk around Adrilankha precisely because the
whole House is NOT out looking for him or even caring about him. He can
visit his old boot maker or an number of old colleagues because, aside from
keeping their skins intact, those people value their loyalty to a respected
boss higher than they value loyalty to something as nebulous as "House
Jhereg".

The Council are the ones who have to make an example of Vlad. The rank and
file don't care, and don't have any particular beef with him. Some might
even admire him for having pulled a fast one and gotten away with it (so
far). The motivating factor for anyone lower than Jhereg Council is "how
much will I make, how much will it cost, and how dangerous is it?". It's the
Council who are in danger of being overrun if others try to follow in Vlad's
footsteps.

In the end, if the Council can be convinced to drop the vendetta, then the
rank and file will fall into line also, simply because it will be
unprofitable to pursue it. Only a very idealistic boss who insisted on doing
it on principle would be the sort to continue to pursue the vendetta.