[Dragaera] Iorich ***SPOILERS****

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 11 14:33:11 PST 2010

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Jon%20Lincicum wrote:

> [...]

He's survived for eight years while getting much more powerful.  He's
providing a bad object lesson right now.  They're making matters worse by
not cutting their losses and making an example of the next guy.  Heck,
they should just find someone who needs eliminating, frame him (maybe even
for Vlad's offenses - e.g., the Imperial rep really asked Vlad for a
bribe [like killing a council member] to get standard service then
pretended to have gotten roughed up to cover it - to the extent
possible), and kill him.  If Vlad dies a natural death, they're really
screwed.  If they call off the fatwa they'll take a hit for a while
perhaps, but they're tough enough to defend their position - one
incredibly exceptional guy gets away with a breach of custom, ten
thought-they-were-exceptional guys don't and then there's no eleventh.

>> It's become counterproductive to the council to attack Vlad. They've
>> earned a great deal of enmity from Aliera and the other Dragons which
>> will not fade. They've used a high noble as bait. They're likely to get
>> themselves slaughtered to prove a point far past any sensible
>> applicability.
>
> They are certainly incurring collateral damage in their pursuit of Vlad.
> Of course, they were willing to accept much worse in their pursuit of
> Mellar.

That was financial and immediately existential, not a point of honor which
everyone agrees on or protection for the Imperial representative, who as
of _Iorich_ is doing stuff more to the detriment of the relationship to
the Orb and other houses than whatever Vlad did.  Is it not fair to say
that Vlad got mixed up with what could be accurately described and if not
sold as a rogue head Jhereg and took some license in defending himself and
his family?