[Dragaera] Temek and Mario (Dzur spoiler)

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 20:22:32 PST 2010

Recent discussion led me to re-read the beginning of /Yendi/, where I
discovered this little nugget which made a lot more sense to me after
what we learned in /Dzur/. It regards an enforcer in Vlad's employ named
Temek:

[Yendi Cite chapter 2]:

He was the only enforcer I had that I knew, with one hundred percent
certainty, had done "work"--because Kragar had given him the job at my
orders.

A month before this business with Laris started, a certain Dzurlord had
borrowed a large sum from someone who worked for me, and was refusing to
pay it back. Now this Dzurlord was what you call "established"; that is,
he was considered a hero by the House of the Dzur, and had earned it
several times over. He was a wizard (which is like a sorcerer, only more
so), and more than just a little bit good with a blade. So he figured
there was nothing we could do if he decided not to pay us. We sent
people over to plead with him to be reasonable, but he was rude enough
to kill them. This cost me fifteen hundred gold for my half of the
revivification on one of them (the moneylender, of course, paid the
other half), and five thousand gold to the family of the second, who
couldn't be revivified.

Now, I did not consider these sums to be trifling. Also, the guy we'd
lost had been a friend at one time. All in all, I was irritated. I told
Kragar, "I do not want this individual to pollute the world any longer.
See that this is attended to."

Kragar told me that he'd hired Temek and paid him thirty-six hundred
gold--not unreasonable for a target as formidible as this Dzur was.
Well, four days later--four days, mark you, not four weeks--someone
stuck a javelin through the back of the Lord Hero's head and pinned his
face to a wall with it. Also, his left hand was missing.

When the Empire investigated, all they learned was that his hand had
been blown off by his own wizard staff exploding, which also accounted
for the failure of all his defensive spells. The investigators shrugged
and said, "Mario did it." Temek was never even questioned...

[end cite]

My thinking here is that the Imperial Investigators had it right, and
Vlad had it dead wrong. Given that Kragar arranged the job, and given
who Kragar represents, and how that individual feels about justice, I
doubt Temek actually had anything to do with this particular incident...