[Dragaera] Vlad as an Earth name

Jon%20Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 15:55:41 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eugene Zaretskiy" <eugene.zar at gmail.com>
To: "Howard Brazee" <howard at brazee.net>
Cc: "Dragaera List" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:41:44 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Vlad as an Earth name

>On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>> I wonder why we have so many alien names and one very predominant Earth name?
>
>A large number of Easterner names are Earth names:
>
>Kelly
>Franz
>Gregory
>Jakoub (close enough)
>Natalia
>Ricard
>Ricardo
>Sheryl

Not to mention:

Mario
Ishtvan
Ibronka
Dahni
Cecila
Erik
Grita
Gyorg
Ivan
Jansci
Josef
Kevin
Lara
Mara
Molly
Nickolas
Oscar
Sandor
Sara
Tomas
Vicktor
Vincent
...and possibly some others I have missed.

>Thanks, Dragaera Wiki. :)

No problem.

After all the work it took putting that list together, I'm glad to see it's useful for something. ;-)

>There's a few new ones in Iorich and some of them are Earth names, too.
>
>I guess a good follow up question, if it hasn't been discussed before,
>is WHY the Easterners have managed to keep their Earth names for so
>long. The answer probably ties into the same reason they have kept
>many other Earth-originating cultural aspects, such as knocking on
>doors and Hungarian cooking. :)

My personal theory on this is that contact with long-lived Dragaerans has encouraged humans to make efforts to preserve their own history and traditions to a greater extent.

250,000 years (at least) does seem like a long time to maintain some of these cultural aspects, otherwise.