[Dragaera] e-mail format

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Jan 13 11:54:02 PST 2010

On Wed, January 13, 2010 11:53, Howard Brazee wrote:
> I wonder if something has changed in this e-mail format recently.
>
> When I reply from work, I use Thunderbird, which gives me a button
> [Reply List].   When I reply from home, I use Mail (OS X), which doesn't
> have that option.

Hey, has Thunderbird started using the headers to give list reply buttons?
 Great!  Where does the button appear? I confess to not having noticed it
yet.

> In the past, I could hit reply and it would reply to the list.  But
> recently it has started replying to the individual who sent the message.

That's what it should have done all along; we don't override user reply-to
settings.  Religious issue.

> This doesn't happen with the Lois McMaster Bujold list.

List configuration / religious issue.  People raised on Usenet consider
replying direct to the individual the default, with replying to the list
being something special you do if what you have to say is of broad
interest.  Because Usenet, 25+ years ago, had more people using it than
any of the mailing list or online forums we have now, I guess, and also
because the resources to handle the messages were an issue then.

> I'm not seeing the heading's exact format using Thunderbird right now.

SquirrelMail is still seeing the headers that trigger the "reply to list"
option, so they seem to be there.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info