[Dragaera] Vlad as an Earth name

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Jan 14 17:14:54 PST 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Alexx Kay wrote:

> Given what we know about human history on Earth, that degree of continuity
> over 250,000 years is not *remotely* plausible -- without some serious
> mitigating factors.  Two that come to mind are "the gods" and "The Cycle".

I guess when we see so many puns, we forget that they aren't really talking in English.

In the movie Sparticus, the slaves were portrayed by Americans, and the Roman citizens were portrayed by Brits.   Steve may be using a similar technique for a similar result.

I have read of people complaining about using an American to play Robin Hood, as if a modern English accent is somehow more accurate than a modern US accent.   It isn't.

My favorite use of accents that people complain about though is in using Sean Connery in Hunt for Red October.   A Scottish accent was perfect for a person from a non-Russian country in the Roman empire - from a country that is known for providing exactly the same type of technical expertise that caused Star Trek to create Scotty.    (And the whole ship was speaking Russian - in English).