[Dragaera] Iorich NO SPOILERS

Eugene Zaretskiy eugene.zar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 08:10:05 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM,  <mtiller at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I'm about half way through the book and the thing that has struck me is that I REALLY wouldn't recommend this book as a place to start in the series, there is so much happening that relies on knowing what's happened in the past.  Classic example Vlad talkiing to Keira and she says "I don't know" Next line says Sethra would know with out any explanation.

I got the opposite impression. Lines like the one you discuss were
written with the unsuspecting user in mind, I'm sure. Vlad could be a
lot more obvious about past events in his internal dialog but he
abstains. Frankly, it's not all that different from the offhand
references Vlad makes to his friends in _Jhereg_. I'm still not sure I
would recommend Iorich as a starting place just because I'd recommend
either publishing or chrono order... but I think it makes a better
starting place than most other books. Definitely better than
_Jhegaala_, at any rate. It reads very casually and the plot is
extremely well-contained (and unnecessary to enjoy the book).

> Mark

Eugene Z
http://blog.eugenez.net