[Dragaera] not really a spoiler, i don't think...

Jose Marquez jhereg69 at hackwater.com
Tue Jan 19 05:53:40 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:06 PM, James Griffin <umbraenoctis at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  below
>

>> From: bonham15 at cox.net
>> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 03:53:28 -0600
>> CC: dragaera at dragaera.info
>> Subject: [Dragaera] not really a spoiler, i don't think...
>>
>> here is a bit of the list's old fashioned pararectal reasoning again I
>> wanted to toss up at all the big brains out there, specially since I don't
>> think I've contributed anything in a few years other than some good, solid
>> fingerpointing at my computer screen....
>>
>> to what extent is the cycle cushioning and protecting Vlad right now? With
>> the jhereg at the bottom, would this not only affect the perceived power of
>> the house (and the real, I suppose), but also their actual effectiveness?
>> such as would profit margins on their games go down as their place in the
>> cycle receded? more prone to making decisions as a house and potentially on
>> an individual basis, that just simply aren't as effective? To what degree
>> would the Cycle itself affect the ability of 'normal' members of house
>> jhereg to make the correct decisions on when and where to place a shereba
>> game? More botched assassinations due to little twists of fate like
>> tripping over the cute little kitten as you step up to finalize someone?
>>

> Yes, I was wondering about something this. Is the cycle similar to a ladder, in which as soon as you are off the top you are at the nadir of power and influence, or is it that the diametrically opposed houses on the cycle are forever opposite in power and influence, similar to the summer and winter solstices (sp?) =the top of/bpttom pf the cycle - with a nodding equality at the vernal and autumnal equinoxes (sp?).
>

> Forex, would Zerika after her abdication/removal (assuming she was still alive - a safe assumption I think) still retain power and influence as the representative of the Phoenix House?

I think I recall it implied here and there (no references here other
than to Iorich, sorry...) that the houses near the top are at the apex
of power and influence, so Athyra, Phoenix, and Dragon are probably
all pretty strong during Zerika's reign, while the houses near the
bottom have to band together to accomplish things (like it was implied
about Orca and Jhereg in Iorich).

Speculating, I wonder if part of the reason of the brutality of the
various Dragon-Jhereg wars is that the Jhereg could be becoming too
powerful out-of-cycle and have to be put back in their place.

Jose