[Dragaera] not really a spoiler, i don't think...

Jon%20Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Thu Jan 21 09:04:03 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard Brazee" <howard at brazee.net>
To: dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:55:28 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] not really a spoiler, i don't think...

On 1/19/2010 8:38 PM, Damien Sullivan wrote:
>> Memory says a Reign must last at least 172 years and not more than 173
>> years. Wiki says the same, without a source.

This comes from early in /Jhereg/, where Vlad is explaining about witchcraft, and mentions for the first time the mystical importance of the number 17.

Unfortunately, the wiki is not always great about citing exactly where the information comes from. I'm afraid that this would require an amount of citation effort that goes well beyond what time and energy I have available to dedicate to it. (The exception being the Dramatis Personae list, which is fulled cited).

Maybe someday I'll have an opportunity to better reference where specific facts are mentioned in the books; but as of right now, I'm struggling just to get basic info in about /Iorich/ (and even /Jhegaala/) integrated.

>How does that work with split reigns - and how much time has the current
>reign have left?

We have almost no data on split reigns, other than that of Tortaalik/Zerika, which is, obviously, a very special case.

In terms of Zerika IV, it's not entirely clear if her reign continues that of Tortaalik's in The Cycle, or if her possession of the Orb has to be counted separately. We know (based on Paarfi's dating) that she is still Empress in 309PI (Which is more than the minimum 289 years that a reign requires) but has apparently passed on the crown by 415PI to Norathar. Alexx's timeline has the dates more exactly than I do, but it's not entirely clear what the exact date of Zerika's abdication is. Somewhere within that window, though.