[Dragaera] _Iorich_ plot criticism (spoilers!)

Konrad Gaertner kgaertner at tx.rr.com
Sun Jan 24 13:46:38 PST 2010

> As it happens, we (and Vlad!) *do* know of just such an imminent threat to
> the Empire.  Not only that, but this threat already involves a Jhereg/Orca
> alliance.  I refer, of course, to the economic crisis that Vlad discovered
> in the course of _Orca_.  Vlad figured out what was going on , killed some
> bad guys, and saved one old woman's house.  But the Imperial economy was
> still fundamentaly tottering on a scaffold of lies and bad credit.

> Of course, at the end of all this, the Empire is *still* mired in a secret
> economic crisis, one that would be made much worse, were it to become
> public knowledge.  Given that, it seems plausible that powerful forces
> might either extract an oath from Vlad to never speak of it, or simply
> ensure that he *couldn't* speak of it, via a mind-wipe.

Oooooh.... I like this.  Also, Vlad now thinks he might have a way
to get the Jhereg off his back.  Maybe he's looking for a way to
use the financial mess to put himself in a position where his death
would cause more harm to the Jhereg than his continued existence?

Konrad Gaertner - - - - - - - - - - - - email: kgaertner at tx.rr.com
http://kgbooklog.livejournal.com/
"I don't mind hidden depths but I insist that there be a surface."
                          -- James Nicoll