[Dragaera] _Iorich_ random brief comments (spoilers!)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 25 23:35:47 PST 2010

Hmm, do we know how many letters there are in the Dragaeran alphabet?

Some random brief comments:

Pg. 15: Fill in the blank.  I wonder if we're meant to be able to guess
what comment Vlad answers - something like, "Easterners with jheregs are
!$!#$@#$%s" I guess.

Water transport - why bother, when teleportation is so easy?  Maybe it's
still practical to move heavy loads by river somehow?

Pg. 26 - "Given what the ugly thing is famous for" - what's this?
I imagine that the symbolism of looking over one's shoulder involves not
forgetting about the past, that is, working for justice.

There are dolphins on Dragaera?  And no extant house?  Kind of too bad.

Pg. 28 - "white yarn" - interesting low tech here.  Record-keeping must be
such a nightmare on Dragaeran time scales.

Pg. 29 - "House?" "Imperial."  - This is the sort of thing that led me to
keep emphasizing that Vlad has an imperial title and as such a good claim
on independence from the Jhereg, which is anyway something of a fiction on
several counts.

Pg. 30 - Courtyard - did any of us think about this?

Pg. 33 - "How do you know so much about this stuff, Vlad?" - Vlad has
Morrolan speak in varying degrees of formality in different places.

Pg. 39 - how is Vlad positioned to harass Lady Ardema?

Pg. 45 - Capital punishment - we've been told before that Zerika, as a
reborn Phoenix, doesn't go for this.

Pg. 49 - Here Vlad says "Jhereg" and not "Imperial", interestingly.

Pg. 54 - 'Care to say that under the Orb?'  Did Zerika say something
equivalent (and intensely impolite) to Khaavren during the problem with
Pel?  It seems familiar.

Pg. 60 - "and do you mind of [sic] if I study you for a while" - Is this
really something a Hawklord would say?  When we first meet Daymar he
doesn't bother with niceties like that.

Pg. 68 - "they have taken Pathfinder from me" - this is a weird
formulation - no one else can touch Pathfinder, for one thing.  Also, I'm
just reading "Flying Colours", and H.H. is allowed to be armed while under
arrest.  And Aliera is able to make amorphia, it's silly to disarm her.

Pg. 91 - "my sword", "nobleman".  It took me a second to realize what
clues Poncer in.  But:
Pg. 99 - "just how noble I was", "I dared to wear a sword openly" - this
sort of spoils the effect for me.

Pg. 113/4 In Dragaeran "Hawk" is something like "raptor", of which there
are various sorts named in Fenarian.  It's odd to have a house named
after something vague.

Pg. 116 - "I've asked myself the same question" - I'm still asking that...