[Dragaera] Vlad and Aliera - Inextricably linked?

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Tue Jan 26 10:24:22 PST 2010

It occurred to me that Vlad  and Aliera may be linked closer than I'd
previously imagined.

They're "soul siblings".

Vlad plays multiple vital roles in Aliera's resurrection and release from
the Paths.

Devera has an interest in both Vlad and Vlad Norathar.

When Aliera's life is threatened, Vlad comes riding in to the rescue.

Aliera has Pathfinder. Vlad has Godslayer. The two Great Weapons are
themselves linked at some metaphysical level, according to Morrolan's
Serioli friend. Paraphrased - "If one of the two weapons has made an
appearance, then the other tends to show up as well."

Vlad is instrumental in finding and releasing Pathfinder, as well as putting
it into Aliera's hands. (Of course, there's also the implication that
Pathfinder was "looking for" Aliera all along.)

It's not a coincidence that Vlad has figured so prominently in key areas of
Aliera's life post-Interregnum. (Not her daily life; we know little about
that.)

I'm convinced that Vlad has not been randomly chosen to carry Godslayer.
Whether it's "fate" or the influence of the Lords of Judgement, there is a
reason that a (relatively) short-lived Easterner with a karmic burden is
carrying the blade that can destroy a God. Whatever "The Final Contract" (or
whatever it really turns out to be) is about, it seems likely that we're
going to see Pathfinder and Godslayer coming together to fulfill their
combined purpose. That necessarily implies that Aliera and Vlad are going to
be sharing each other's fate at some level. Death for one or both is a
likely outcome, especially if the destruction or removal of one or both of
their Great Weapons is involved.

One wonders what Vlad would do if he was faced with a crisis point, with
freedom to choose his action, and the knowledge that his entire life had
been manipulated towards one specific action, especially if that action
involved life and death for Aliera, Verra, or both?

One thing's for certain - as a tool of the Gods, knowingly or unknowingly,
he's a loose cannon. Despite her claims on his loyalty and her particular
brand of foreknowledge, even Verra would have a difficult time pushing Vlad
to make a decision to do the "right" thing (meaning fulfulling his appointed
destiny as opposed to saying "Frag it all"). Ironically, I think the one
person who might be able to help him to make the "best" choice as opposed to
making the most annoyingly contrary, most pointlessly heroic, or most
self-serving choice would be Lady Teldra. It may be that she isn't going to
awaken until Vlad is faced with a need for her guidance at the final
juncture.

Hmmm... Reading that last paragraph, I'm even pushed to speculate that "The
Final Contract" will recap the theme of the entire series, with one chapter
devoted to the theme of each House and Vlad behaving like the patron animal
in each of the chapters.