[Dragaera] _Iorich_ random brief comments (spoilers!)

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 18:40:21 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Alexx Kay <alexx at panix.com> wrote:

> I maintain that teleportation among Dragaerans is like programming skill
> among us.  If you travel in certain circles (such as SF fandom), it may
> seem like something that practically everyone can do, at least at a
> hobbyist level.  But measured against the population as a whole, it's an
> uncommon skill, and commands high prices.

Yes, it does. Look at the rates the Left Hand sorceress charges Vlad
in /Iorich/. It's something like ten gold for a simple teleport
(including the fee from meeting him though). Judging from various
peoples' reactions to currency throughout the books, you could hire a
LOT of Teckla man-hours for ten gold. Clearly the going rate for
commercial teleportation service is quite high, which suggests that
the barriers for entry to the industry are also high.

-Max

--
"When people are married, instead of trying to get rid of each other,
reflect that you have made your choice, and strive to honour and keep

If you're so evil, eat this kitten!