[Dragaera] Teleport Shipping

andy bonham15 at cox.net
Wed Jan 27 15:21:47 PST 2010

> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Bryan Newell wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010, Philip Hart wrote:
>
>> the dangerously-close-to-vaporware Release 2 of my Map
>
> This is unfortunate.
>

>> Down river, that works out to a little over 100 miles per day (I don't
>> know
>> enough about barges and rivers to say whether that is reasonable or not).
>
> Locks?  Portages/places where one has to transfer to a different barge
> system?
>
> I think the competition between barges and rail was important during the
> industrial revolution, which is by analogue a fairly important theme in
> the Texts; maybe SKZB had something like this discussion in mind.

not sure if its been noted yet, but a huge percentage of grain from the
midwest US is shipped via barge.  this has been on an 18 year decline
however, for reasons hotly debated.  down river shipping is ridiculously
efficient if the waterways are maintained. so it would happen no matter how
cheap teleportation got I think.... now if there were stationary gates you
could set up something like morrolan's window where you could just walk
through and be 'elsewhere' reliably, but big enough to drive a wagon
through.....

as far as teleportation in war... that would be ugly.  IIRC, sethra's
descriptions of battle sorceries in dragon described a lot of back and forth
between offensive advancements/defensive advancements, almost all at the
cost of troops's lives.   Sure, someone would figure out how to air drop
3000 troopers into your floating castle, then you'd figure out how to route
the port into the closest pool of lava etc etc.