[Dragaera] Teleport Shipping

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 28 22:39:23 PST 2010

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Ken Koester wrote:

> Philip Hart wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Ken Koester wrote:

[estimates snipped]

>> This isn't for wooden sailing ships in occasionally disputed water - cargo
>> ships have massive efficiencies of scale, and powered loading.  I've been
>> wondering about sorcerously-powered ships or boats, maybe that's relevant.
>>
> No, for wooden sailing ships, it's an infinite load per gallon of fuel, there
> being no fuel to begin with.

The fuel is spars, sails, sailors lost overboard in storms, ships pulled
to the bottom by krakens - all stuff burned in transport.

> As far back as you can trace transport records,  water transport rules, hands down.

Over teleportation?  What records should I be tracing?

> Not right now.  I'm not sure how you are making it, to begin with & don't
> have enough time.  But if I think on it a few days I might.  How about
> refreshing us with your base assumptions, for starters?  I'll see if I can
> scare up some better estimate of barge capacities as well. . . .

I was just figuring that it's 3 days down plus 5 days up plus 1 day
packing/loading/unloading times 5 Tecklas for some reasonable amount of
goods (how much salt does a region use?).

How much does a Dragaeran weigh? 100 Kg? 50?  If the latter, and say any
competent teleporter can move four Dragaerans masses but not more for
some reason, that's 5 spells/ton.  It would be tiresome to teleport twenty
tons like this.  Probably need more data to make progress.