[Dragaera] Teleport Shipping

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Thu Jan 28 14:23:15 PST 2010

From: Philip Hart
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:37 AM
To: dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Teleport Shipping

>This isn't for wooden sailing ships in occasionally disputed water - cargo
>ships have massive efficiencies of scale, and powered loading.  I've been
>wondering about sorcerously-powered ships or boats, maybe that's relevant.

It's been shown that Orca sailors have a superstitious fear of using sorcery
to power their ships. Since they pretty much own the shipping industry (from
a labor standpoint, at least) that lets out sorcery as a common method of
reducing shipping times.

Not sure how, or if, that has any influence on inland river-based shipping.
It might be that imagining Tekla as the crew of a river barge is incorrect.
Whether it's House Orca or the Imperial Navy running things on various
rivers throughout the Empire, it may still down to Orca barge crew, same as
on the high seas. In fact, it seems like just the occupation for a retired
seaman or for the occasional aberrant Orca who is afraid of sea travel for
some reason.