[Dragaera] _Iorich_ random brief comments (spoilers!)

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 21:23:36 PST 2010

Hmm, do we know how many letters there are in the Dragaeran alphabet?

Some random brief comments:

> Pg. 15: Fill in the blank.  I wonder if we're meant to be
> able to guess what comment Vlad answers - something like,
> "Easterners with jheregs are !$!#$@#$%s" I guess.

Or just "@*&^ your mother, you son of a whore" or "Eat
#$(% and die."  Or as one of Hemingway's heroes put it,
"Unprint thyself".

What is the weird thing about swearing in this book.  Are
there profanity filters wherever he records his stories?
Most of it is conspicuously bowdlerized, but Vlad uses
"asshole" on p. 305, and I think there's another one
near the end.

Pg. 26 - "Given what the ugly thing is famous for" - what's this?
I imagine that the symbolism of looking over one's shoulder involves not
forgetting about the past, that is, working for justice.

Speaking of the above, these suppressed facts are
usually sexual (in real conversation), right?  I suspect
the snout has some use in mating, and the iorich's turning
it toward its own hindquarters brings up incongruous
thoughts.

> Pg. 113/4 In Dragaeran "Hawk" is something like "raptor", of
> which there are various sorts named in Fenarian.  It's odd
> to have a house named after something vague.

Maybe the original Hawks got genes from more than one
species.

Pg. 116 - "I've asked myself the same question" - I'm still asking that...

They're too well protected and they're watching for it?
Their replacements will just have more reason to kill
Vlad?  It appears to take a /lot/ of killing to discourage
the Jhereg--for instance, they're willing to start a
Dragon-Jhereg war when they're at the bottom of the
Cycle.

Speaking of that page, li'l VN is very cute, in a
precocious kind of way, if you want to know my opinion.

Jerry Friedman