[Dragaera] _Iorich_ random brief comments (spoilers!)

Eugene Zaretskiy eugene.zar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 10:28:47 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Jerry Friedman
<jerry_friedman at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hmm, do we know how many letters there are in the Dragaeran alphabet?
>

> Some random brief comments:
>
>> Pg. 15: Fill in the blank.  I wonder if we're meant to be
>> able to guess what comment Vlad answers - something like,
>> "Easterners with jheregs are !$!#$@#$%s" I guess.
>
> Or just "@*&^ your mother, you son of a whore" or "Eat
> #$(% and die."  Or as one of Hemingway's heroes put it,
> "Unprint thyself".
>
> What is the weird thing about swearing in this book.  Are
> there profanity filters wherever he records his stories?
> Most of it is conspicuously bowdlerized, but Vlad uses
> "asshole" on p. 305, and I think there's another one
> near the end.

I meant to bring this up in a thread, too, but didn't really have
anything to say about it. Iorich *did* seem unusually vulgar... I
don't have a problem with that, but I, too, wonder if there's
something we're supposed to learn or if it's just a change in style.

> Pg. 26 - "Given what the ugly thing is famous for" - what's this?
> I imagine that the symbolism of looking over one's shoulder involves not
> forgetting about the past, that is, working for justice.
>
> Speaking of the above, these suppressed facts are
> usually sexual (in real conversation), right?  I suspect
> the snout has some use in mating, and the iorich's turning
> it toward its own hindquarters brings up incongruous
> thoughts.
>
>> Pg. 113/4 In Dragaeran "Hawk" is something like "raptor", of
>> which there are various sorts named in Fenarian.  It's odd
>> to have a house named after something vague.
>
> Maybe the original Hawks got genes from more than one
> species.
>
> Pg. 116 - "I've asked myself the same question" - I'm still asking that...
>
> They're too well protected and they're watching for it?
> Their replacements will just have more reason to kill
> Vlad?  It appears to take a /lot/ of killing to discourage
> the Jhereg--for instance, they're willing to start a
> Dragon-Jhereg war when they're at the bottom of the
> Cycle.
>
> Speaking of that page, li'l VN is very cute, in a
> precocious kind of way, if you want to know my opinion.
>
> Jerry Friedman

Eugene Z
http://blog.eugenez.net