[Dragaera] More on Teleportation Economics

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 23 11:17:59 PST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Alexx Kay wrote:

> As near as I can figure, Vlad learns to teleport in considerably under a
> year, at age 14, starting from no knowledge of sorcery whatsoever.  (All
> this learning takes place "shortly before" his father's death.)  It seems
> my gut feelings about the level of difficulty in learning to teleport were
> misguided.
>
> Perhaps a better metaphor than "programming a computer" would be "driving
> a car".  People who are *very* poor (or very eccentric) don't learn the
> skill, but almost everyone lower-middle-class or above does learn it.

Well, just to argue every side of every issue, Vlad is (as was noted in
this discussion) an exceptional person.  I think it's fair to say that
he's the smartest person in his circle, even counting Sethra.  Maybe even
as smart as Pel or Khaavren.

On the other hand, how motivated is he to learn to teleport, anyway?