[Dragaera] An alternative solution to the Mellar problem

beccastareyes at gmail.com beccastareyes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 12:00:53 PST 2010

On Mar 2, 2010 2:49pm, Alexx Kay <alexx at panix.com> wrote:
> A friend of mine has just started reading the Vlad books. Though he
> clearly quite liked _Jhereg_, he came up with an alternative solution to
> the Mellar problem that I don't recall having heard floated before.

> Presented for your interest:

> "The thing is, the bad guy had to be killed, but couldn't while he was in
> Castle Black, and the clock was ticking, because the Jhereg Council was
> out eight million, and things were starting to unravel. But there's no
> time limit if the Jhereg can keep operating, so one way to save face is
> for Morrolon to lend the Jhereg enough money to keep going for thirteen
> days. Even if he isn't rich enough to float eight million, he seems rich
> enough, and has enough favors, to scrape up enough money to cover things
> until the bad guy is no longer his guest, and can be killed with no loss
> of honor."

One problem I could see would be that Morrolan's honor could be impinged by
loaning the Jhereg money, since it seems like 'polite Empire society'
mostly pretends the business end of the Jhereg don't exist (publicly).
Morrolan himself doesn't seem to approve of them, even if he likes Vlad as
a person, and is willing to have him on the payroll as a security
consultant.

That and I don't know how the Organization would take to owing a Dragonlord
a favor -- killing Morrolan again raises its head, though at least that
wouldn't set off the Dragon-Jhereg war if it got out that Morrolan had
loaned them money; the other Dragonlords, with the exception of Aliera,
might just see it as self-inflicted. Granted, Aliera would be Not Happy,
and quite willing to start a one-woman war herself.

-- Rebecca