[Dragaera] Lavode - possible spoilers (Dzur)

Eugene Zaretskiy eugene.zar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 09:59:32 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Gibbons, Mark
<Mark.Gibbons at nordstrom.com> wrote:

> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /
> /

Being somewhat new to the list (1-2 years), how long is Dzur on the
spoilers list? Shouldn't anyone on this list have read a two year old
book? I suppose it doesn't matter, but the spoiler spaces don't
exactly make e-mail more readable.

> It looks like Sethra is bringing back the Lavodes. Membership so far:
> Herself, Telnan, possibly Morallan, Aliera, Mario.  Further assuming
> that the Lavodes are a vital imperial resource, might membership in the
> Lavodes be a way out of Vlad's Jhereg problems.  Zerika could lay it
> down, "He's mine now, he is part of a group of folks armed with Great
> weapons that are essential to the empire.  When I'm done with him, then
> you can kill him." Given how tough the target would be I don't see the
> profit in the organization going after him.  They have waited a while,
> they can probably wait a little longer.  Sethra talks about Vlad's
> training occasionally, I've been thinking that being a Lavode is what he
> is training for.

Seems extremely flimsy to me. You're basing the Lavode reformation on
one confirmed member? (Sethra doesn't count.) Also, sorry, don't
recall the details, but in what way are the current Lavodes (in
whatever state of existance they're in now) vital to the Empire?

The problem with Zerika helping Vlad, as I understood it, is not that
she has no metaphorical wing to take him under for protection. She
doesn't need the Lavodes; there's a plethora of groups she could place
Vlad in. Indeed, she's already given him an Imperial title. In fact, I
believe there was a lengthy debate over just this topic on this list a
few months ago. Whether one agrees with it or not, the impression the
books have been giving up to this point seems to be that Zerika is
politically unwise to protect Vlad. Making him unkillable by placing
him into a small group lead by Sethra Lavode, herself sort of an
anomaly of imperial hierarchy, would only serve to infuriate the
Jhereg against Zerika. If Vlad is a valid target considering his
Imperial title and friends in extremely high places, he will likely
remain a target no matter what Zerika does. Again, this can be (and
has been) argued, but it is the view put forward by the books at the
moment (as I understand it), making this pathway to safety extremely
doubtful in my mind. I think skzb has made quite clear that Zerika
isn't getting Vlad out of this bind.

That said, the I, too, think we haven't heard the last of the Lavodes.

> Mark

Eugene Z
http://blog.eugenez.net