[Dragaera] The New Palace

Ken Koester kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov
Tue Jun 1 09:09:37 PDT 2010

Scott Schultz wrote:

>I would expect that the actual construction
>is carried out using typical medieval technology, with sorcery used to
>reinforce it in places where some extra support might be necessary. (That
>assumes that you don't need someone to constantly maintain the spell. I've
>never been 100% clear on that.)

I wouldn't, actually.  Medieval building technology was pretty hit or
miss on that scale; medieval builders didn't understand things as well
as the Romans had centuries earlier.  I would think it at the level of
Roman technology or Renaissance perhaps.  I'm thinking of Brunelleschi's
dome, on the one hand & hydraulic cement on the other.  I would think
Dragarean builders are reasonably careful architects withiin each
separate phase, although not caring too much about how the ensemble
looks after a few cycles of improvements have passed.

>On another note, what do we suppose Piro's position is in the new Empire? Is
>Viscount of Adrilankha a meaningful title when Adrilankha becomes the seat
>of the Empire? Would Zerika repossess that title and award him another
>instead?

If it's a House title, I don't think she could do anything.  I don't see
Piro featuring prominently at court; I don't see that life interesting
him a whole lot.  I can see the Empress asking him to check on a
particular something or another on rare occasions, as someone she knows
& can trust.

OTOH, maybe he's joined the Phoenix Guards (-:

Snarkhunter