[Dragaera] The New Palace

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Jun 1 10:23:31 PDT 2010

On Tue, June 1, 2010 11:09, Ken Koester wrote:
> Scott Schultz wrote:
>
>>I would expect that the actual construction
>>is carried out using typical medieval technology, with sorcery used to
>>reinforce it in places where some extra support might be necessary. (That
>>assumes that you don't need someone to constantly maintain the spell.
>> I've
>>never been 100% clear on that.)
>>

> I wouldn't, actually.  Medieval building technology was pretty hit or
> miss on that scale; medieval builders didn't understand things as well
> as the Romans had centuries earlier.  I would think it at the level of
> Roman technology or Renaissance perhaps.  I'm thinking of Brunelleschi's
> dome, on the one hand & hydraulic cement on the other.  I would think
> Dragarean builders are reasonably careful architects withiin each
> separate phase, although not caring too much about how the ensemble
> looks after a few cycles of improvements have passed.

Dragaeran architects (and engineers?) are going to care a lot more about
how long things stand up.  The original architect will quite possibly
still be around and findable 2000 years later; his reputation could be
damaged by early buildings of his collapsing.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info