[Dragaera] The New Palace

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Wed Jun 2 11:20:27 PDT 2010

> Granted, sorcery is stronger now and it no doubt plays
> its part in the construction of large buildings. I think, though, that
> your
> average Vallista is the sort who values hand craftsmanship over mass
> producing things with sorcery. I would expect that the actual construction
> is carried out using typical medieval technology, with sorcery used to
> reinforce it in places where some extra support might be necessary. (That
> assumes that you don't need someone to constantly maintain the spell. I've
> never been 100% clear on that.)

The spells providing security on Vlad's office do not require the constant
attention of a sorcerer, but *do* require periodic maintenance of some
kind, per discussion in _Iorich_.

I have vague memories of textev suggesting that there are similar spells
for the physical integrity of buildings.  IIRC, if the spells aren't
maintained well enough, the building starts to exhibit noticeable wear.

Alexx

Hedonist for Hire -- No job too easy.
   [Seen on a Nancy Button, www.nancybuttons.com]