[Dragaera] The New Palace

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 4 12:47:41 PDT 2010

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> On Fri, June 4, 2010 14:20, Philip Hart wrote:

>>> This is an interesting point. Is a flashstone useful as a threat? If a
>>> random tough steps into the road holding a small rock, and claims it's
>>> a flashstone, would the fat[1] merchant in question believe it?
>>
>> This had occurred to me as well.  Also the question whether the merchant
>> might have a magic implement at hand that allows him to blow up any
>> in-range flashstone.
>
> There can't be any such spell; if there were, nobody would carry
> flashtones, and we know they do in that period.

There was such a spell for flash sticks iirc, and stones and spell could
coexist at low densities - you just never pull the former on an Athyra.

>> But I would be inclined to suspect the merchant travels with a competent
>> archer who shoots anyone who tries to come within flashstone range.
>
> I don't think the Empire is rich enough to keep the trees and such pruned
> back THAT far from the roads.  There are perhaps worse problems in
> mountainous areas.

The scenario discussed (if I understand correctly) is a brigand openly
approaching the merchant's party, drawing a flashstone or just a smooth
rock, and saying stand and deliver.  Clearly being attacked from ambush
is not going to be solved by a couple of archers, esp. if the bandits have
(cross)bows.  But I doubt bandits in the days of pistols carried
pistol-shaped pieces of metal, or pistols unloaded because they didn't
have the technical skills to put in the black powder, making the threat
ambiguous.

> This is one of the problems of city life, of course -- people have to come
> within knife range of each other ALL THE TIME.

Yes, this is a different problem for the merchant - I'm just thinking
about the open road.  I assume that in the city there are either too many
witnesses for holdups or the merchants' guild maintains groups of armed
escorts at the city gates.