[Dragaera] The New Palace

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Jun 4 12:29:32 PDT 2010

On Fri, June 4, 2010 14:20, Philip Hart wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Michael Wojcik wrote:
>
>> Jon%20Lincicum wrote:
>>>
>>> If a highwayman is clever, he never has to fire his weapon, anyway.
>>> It's used as a threat, so I don't know that this is as big a drawback.
>>
>> This is an interesting point. Is a flashstone useful as a threat? If a
>> random tough steps into the road holding a small rock, and claims it's
>> a flashstone, would the fat[1] merchant in question believe it?
>
> This had occurred to me as well.  Also the question whether the merchant
> might have a magic implement at hand that allows him to blow up any
> in-range flashstone.

There can't be any such spell; if there were, nobody would carry
flashtones, and we know they do in that period.

> But I would be inclined to suspect the merchant travels with a competent
> archer who shoots anyone who tries to come within flashstone range.

I don't think the Empire is rich enough to keep the trees and such pruned
back THAT far from the roads.  There are perhaps worse problems in
mountainous areas.

This is one of the problems of city life, of course -- people have to come
within knife range of each other ALL THE TIME.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info