[Dragaera] Dragaera Casting

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Jun 10 10:07:51 PDT 2010

On 6/10/2010 11:00 AM, Eugene Zaretskiy wrote:
>> Still, I have to see Depp playing somebody athletic, and not effeminate.
>> >    I haven't seen him play anybody who can move rapidly the way Vlad needs to
>> >  in a fight.
>>
> He played a nimble, sword-fighting pirate in Pirates of the Caribbean.
> A CIA assassin/agent in Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
He wasn't an *athletic* sword-fighting pirate, and he had a weak,
mincing run in the Caribbean movies.   I never believed he could win a
fight except by luck.   Vlad is a tough ghetto kid/adult.

I haven't seen the other movie.
> He can be nimble
> and he's pretty versatile. The main reason I wouldn't like him as Vlad
> is that whenever he plays a role where the character is sarcastic,
> Depp has a very recognizable way of delivering sharp sarcasm and that
> sort of quirky comedy that I'd be afraid the character would be more
> Depp than Vlad. I really wish he'd stop working with Burton, in fact,
> for much the same reasons.

Vlad delivers sharp sarcasm and sort of a quirky comedy.    I guess
anytime you have a famous actor playing a role, no matter how close that
actor is to the role, we see the actor.