[Dragaera] Dragaera Casting

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Jun 10 11:03:38 PDT 2010

On 6/10/2010 11:48 AM, Eugene Zaretskiy wrote:
> That's exactly the problem. Casting someone known for their sharp
> sarcasm and quirky comedy in the role of a character who is also known
> for the same thing is a bad idea. Unless you want to make a quick buck
> by having another "Depp vehicle" (or whatever other actor). I don't
> know about you, but I couldn't stand Alice in Wonderland, for exactly
> that reason. The book is sarcastic and quirky, but it's charm lies in
> the style and unique voice, not merely the content. The movie has the
> content but loses the voice. If you agree, carry this through to Vlad.
> It wouldn't be Vlad any more, it'd be Depp as a crime lord in
> Adrilankha, like it was Depp having a whacky tea time with Alice.

I didn't read this version of the book.   Obviously it wasn't intended
to be the original.

Anytime a movie is made from a book, we have people complaining that the
actors aren't right.  That's because the movie solidifies the image into
something other than what the people had imagined.    And if the
characters are played by stars, we are reminded of other roles of the
stars.    Sometimes it is previous movies that set our definitions - for
instance, it seems "right" to most people to have Sherlock Holmes using
a calabash pipe (which wasn't available historically in time for Holmes
to use).    Early actors liked it because it didn't hide their faces.