[Dragaera] Vlad's Age Revisited

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Thu Jul 8 15:38:08 PDT 2010

I recently got Kindle software for my Droid and downloaded a sample of Dzur
as one of my first items. The opening chapter had a passage that I'd not
noticed so much earlier, but that's interesting in light of Iorich and the
discussion about who would be the right age to play Vlad in a film. I
suspect the page numbering on a "kindleized" book is different than normal,
but this is just after Telnan has introduced himself as a protégé of Sethra.

===
Mihi brought klava for Telnan. I drank some more of mine.

"Have you known Sethra long?" I asked Telnan.

"No, not really. Around twenty years."

Not long. More than half of the time I'd been alive. "Odd I've never met you
before."
===

Granted it's still pretty vague.  It doesn't give any absolute idea of
Vlad's age at this time but it does put an upper bounds of 38 on his age. To
my mind, when someone says something like "more than half of blah...",
they're usually rounding up, as it were, and trying to put their own age as
close to the comparison age as they can.

That would, I think, put him at 39ish in Iorich. Maybe 40 - I don't have a
good grasp on the passage of time between the two books.