[Dragaera] Dragaerans vs Easterners, relative population sizes

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Thu Aug 5 14:04:57 PDT 2010

> Alexx Kay wrote:
>>
>> Hm.  We know that the power of one's connection to the Orb is affected
>> in
>> some ways by distance.  Perhaps if one gets far enough from Adrilankha,
>> life gets too hard for most Dragaerans to want to put up with it?
>
> Perhaps, but we have multiple indications in _Jhegaala_ that sorcery
> works just fine in Fenario, so the Empire doesn't appear to have
> spread to the effective limit of the Orb's power, if that is a factor.

_Brokedown Palace_ also makes it clear that sorcery works in Fenario.

>> This in turn raises the question of how the nature of this 'effective
>> radius of Empire' was changed by the relocation of the Capitol after the
>> Interregnum.  Bryan' Newell's map shows Adrilankha as being much further
>> South than Dragaera City was.  Are the northern parts of the Empire less
>> 'hospitable' than they were pre-Interregnum?  Northport is still a going
>> concern in _Orca_, which is mild evidence against...
>
> On the other hand, the Orb's power was substantially greater when the
> Interregnum ended, which might extend its range such that the outlying
> provinces saw no loss in sorcerous effectivity even with the
> relocation of the capital.

True, I had forgotten about the power boost.

Alexx

"...it turns out that my inward self ended up just having to go on a
 little fifteen-year (minus a week) stroll through... what's the phrase
 from Lennon's "Mind Games"?  Through "Absolute Elsewhere."  At that
 point my portrayal and my actual self remerged into a mostly blissful
 union, and (God willing) I look forward to them... us... ME living
 happily ever after.  ("Heehee -- 'Them,' he says."  "All right, all
 right, that's enough.")"
    -- Dave Sim in correspondence with Alan Moore about _From Hell_