[Dragaera] Dragaerans vs Easterners, relative population sizes

Bryan Newell bryann at bryann.net
Thu Aug 5 20:09:07 PDT 2010

> > In the descriptions of the East it does really sound huge.
>
> Is Bryan Newall (sp?) around?  This isn't the (vague)
> impression I had.

It's Newell, thanks.

The only direct comparison of size I've found is from the introduction to
/Dzurlord/, which I don't believe is canon:

	The continent on which the Empire rests is roughly the shape of
Europe, but twice the size, and the Empire encompasses (at the moment) more
than half of it

Other than that, there isn't anything really useful said about the extent of
the East, other than it extends in all directions (well, north, east and
south) from the map in /Brokedown Palace/:

	Some say [Fenar] came from the lands around the North Sea, where the
cold winds had frozen his sinews until they were like fine steel. Others say
the Great Plains to the east had tempered his heart with the burning sun ...
There are those who tell how he came from the ocean far to the south,
through the underground streams that emerge high in the Grimtail, the
southeastern part of the Grimwall ... Still others claim he grew to manhood
in the Western Mountains on the very borders of Faerie ...

In the next release of the map, I'll argue that the East extends further to
the north than the West, and about the same latitude to the south, but I
have no idea how far east the East goes.  The line above about the "Great
Plains" is everything I've found that Steve's written about the area East of
the map in /Brokedown Palace/.

As to Jon's reading of the line that got this thread started, while that
makes sense (more births, not more population), the text appears pretty
unambiguous:

	In fact, according to the /Book of the Seven Wizards/, the Plane of
Waiting Souls pulls at [Easterners] while we're waiting, just like it does
Dragaerans.  The book says, however, that it doesn't pull quite as hard.
Why?  Population.  There are more Easterners in the world, so there are
fewer souls waiting for places to go, so there are fewer souls to help call
the others.

Bryan