[Dragaera] Real World Yakuza Article

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Aug 9 11:05:25 PDT 2010

Like the rest of the world, organized crime screws up when it doesn't
have external constraints, or when the wealth is sufficient to make it
powerful enough to beat those constraints.

During the USSR, the Russian Mafia was how people got things done.   But
it worked in the background and was successful.   When the USSR broke
up, the Russian Mafia, without constraints took over and screwed up.

During our alcohol prohibition organized crime importing alcohol from
Canada got bigger than the police, and then we got rid of its lucrative
base by repealing prohibition.   During our current prohibition, the
Mexican Mafia is bigger than Mexico's police - and it appears that it
may result in legalization with the same result.

(I wonder where we are in the cycle of Rich and Powerful building the
gap between them and the wealth producing workers - I fear it still will
increase a while, and maybe fear more how it will eventually adjust).

In Dragaera, there is a history of groups getting power, then abusing
it, causing the Cycle to turn.