[Dragaera] Real World Yakuza Article

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Aug 9 15:01:30 PDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: dragaera-bounces at lists.dragaera.info
[mailto:dragaera-bounces at lists.dragaera.info] On Behalf Of Howard Brazee
>In Dragaera, there is a history of groups getting power, then abusing it,
causing the Cycle to turn.

I think it's more of a case of the Cycle turning and society catching up to
it. This is one reason for the Empire being in a more or less constant state
of revolution. Eventually, a revolution succeeds and, Lo, the Cycle has
turned. (Otherwise, it would have failed.)

>From what we've seen, the Court is in a state of more or less permanent
political intrigue.  Abuses happen all of the time (presumably being the
cause of many of those cases of unrest and revolt).

Granted, we don't know the true mechanism, but every example we have of the
Gods looking at the world and judging what it's state ought to be, is one
where they're looking to the Cycle as their guide. I don't think this would
be the case if the Cycle moved in response to a revolt. In _Sethra Lavode_,
the Dragon pretenders to the throne are leading a pretty successful revolt
at the time that the Lords of Judgment meet to discuss what's happening in
the Empire. They don't wait for the revolt to succeed, and then consult the
Cycle. They consult the Cycle during the crisis to judge whether the claim
of the revolutionaries is a legitimate one or not.

Of course, it isn't entirely clear that the Lords of Judgment really
understand the Cycle themselves, and Paarfi is conferring the information
upon us, so all bets are off to a certain extent, anyway.