[Dragaera] A Teckla thought

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Mon Sep 13 11:17:51 PDT 2010

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Alexx Kay wrote:
>
>> Dragaeran life expectancy seems to be about 4,000 years, though many die
>> younger due to accident or illness.
>
> This sounds wrong to me.  Do we have any evidence of a long tail of really
> ancient Dragaerans to compensate for those dying much earlier?

Do you count Sethra Lavode or The Sorceress in Green?

Though really, I used the wrong phrasing.  What I meant wasn't "life
expectancy" as an average, but more like "age by which we are surprised at
each successive birthday not being fatal."  Not that I've done detailed
research on the topic yet.

> Maybe 4k
> is the expectancy given ideal conditions, and Vlad has never met anyone
> who has lived life like that, but excluding sorcerers have we ever met
> anyone known to be even that old?

Just off the top of my head, Quion from _Taltos_ is (IIRC) described as
about 3K years old.

>I have the vague sense that Vlad thinks
> 3.5k is really really old; but one wouldn't say that about an 80-year-old
> woman I think, even though that's the l.e. for women in the US.

Actually, I totally *would* call an 80-year-old "really really old".  The
fact that some people last for decades after that doesn't make 80 itself
any less impressive an achievement.

At any rate, all of this is tangential to the point I was making, about
there likely being living Teckla who remember the last Republic.

Alexx

I'm a Zen nudist--I'm naked in my own mind.
   [Seen on a Nancy Button, www.nancybuttons.com]