[Dragaera] A Teckla thought

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Sep 13 11:17:52 PDT 2010

  On 9/13/2010 12:04 PM, Philip Hart wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Alexx Kay wrote:
>
>> Dragaeran life expectancy seems to be about 4,000 years, though many die
>> younger due to accident or illness.
> This sounds wrong to me.  Do we have any evidence of a long tail of really
> ancient Dragaerans to compensate for those dying much earlier?  Maybe 4k
> is the expectancy given ideal conditions, and Vlad has never met anyone
> who has lived life like that, but excluding sorcerers have we ever met
> anyone known to be even that old?  I have the vague sense that Vlad thinks
> 3.5k is really really old; but one wouldn't say that about an 80-year-old
> woman I think, even though that's the l.e. for women in the US.

Their live styles don't support anybody out of a monastery having that
kind of survival rate.

I never was convinced of their age - other than they're based on a elves
mythos where they live that long.    They seem to develop & learn at
human rates.    Think about how much Earth has changed in four thousand
years.   It's amusing when someone is told to bide before complaining
about age to Sethra - but we don't see the patience that would be
necessary to a society that changes that slowly.