[Dragaera] A Teckla thought

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Sep 14 12:24:31 PDT 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Alexx Kay wrote:

>> 50,086 out of 100000 born alive achieve this, per the SSA; 24,183 make it
>> to 87.
>
> Is this data for newborns?  I don't personally know any people who've made
> it past 80, but they were, naturally, all born many decades earlier.
> (Anecdotes are poor data, of course.)

Born alive = newborns above.  And these numbers are pretty stable in the
first world - iirc the biggest change has been reduction in deaths in
childhood.

I guess if one doesn't visit nursing homes or hospitals regularly, or live
in the Sun Belt, or have elderly parents or grandparents, one doesn't meet
a lot of old people given the way we organize our society.

>> And of course one would think that practically any Teckla soul has a good
>> shot of having been alive then.
>
> Not so relevant, as I presume Teckla don't typically have access to
> past-life regression.

This isn't entirely clear to me - Vlad I think has feelings left over from
a very distant past life.  Many Teckla might have something of the
perspective of having lived in freedom even if that was in other bodies.