[Dragaera] A Teckla thought

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Thu Sep 16 13:41:28 PDT 2010

On Thu, September 16, 2010 14:45, Howard Brazee wrote:
>   On 9/16/2010 1:32 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>> In Dragaera, it is possible that there is some real meaning.   I see
>> The Hindu version is essentially using reincarnation as a combined
>> carrot
>> and stick.  While you may not remember the past incarnation usually,
>> you'll certainly be aware of your station in the current one.
>>
> Yeah, but it wasn't *me* in any meaningful way who is in the other
> incarnations.   I am getting the reward/punishment for some other guy.

You're thinking backwards, and what you see that direction isn't fair.
True enough, but there's nothing you can do about it, that's just the way
the Gods have made the world.

But think forwards.  By behaving well now, you'll have a better next
incarnation.  AND you won't remember your suffering in this one.

>> The Abrahamic religions raised the ante, to the point where the rewards
>> and punishments are so beyond human scale that they can't be
>> comprehended.
> I like that description.   Certainly I've seen no depiction of eternity
> that would tempt me if I was offered a choice at the pearly gates
> between eternity or oblivion - to pick eternity.   I'd need an out.

Thanks.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info