[Dragaera] Is Kelly foolish?

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 15:44:39 PDT 2010

----- "Philip Hart" <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>
> > However, a deliberate attempt to do something like this, knowing
> full
> > well the consequences would be treasonous, might well be impossible.
> The
> > conflict in loyalty would be detected by the Orb in the mind of the
>
> > sorcerer, and the spell would simply fail.
>
> I don't think we have any textev for treasonous spells being
> impossible.

I seem to recall Paarfi relating something to this effect in regards to the Battle of Adrilankha. This is why it was necessary for him to ally with Tri'nagore and Loraan in his attack--to neutralize Zerika's sorcerous advantage. (Well, Tri'nagore blocked Brimford's witchcraft, while Loraan gave entry to the Jenoine, which is what actually disrupted the control of the Orb.)

It should be noted that Loraan did not understand the full import of what he was being asked to do (by Habil) and may not have realized that his actions were treasonous. Thus, no loyalty conflict would be detected by the Orb. It's also possible that he had developed other means to further his studies during the Interregnum that did not rely on the Orb to allow the entry of the Jenoine.

It may also well be argued that Paarfi doesn't have his facts straight on these points, not being a sorcerer himself. However, this is how he relates things. Barring evidence to the contrary, I would give his explanation the benefit of the doubt.

> Obviously Mario goes for a pre-empire mistbomb to be careful, but
> having
> gotten a link at birth, a sorcerer doesn't lose it.  Adron's army uses
>
> sorcery; Loraan presumably is a traitor.

It's really unclear as to how Adron's sorcery corps were able to operate. They may have been instructed in the ways of Pre-Empire sorcery. Or perhaps they relied on pre-cast spells, such as Flashstones, wands, etc. which were created well in advance, without any treasonous thoughts in the minds of those that created them at the time they were created.

> I guess the simplest idea would be to figure out who's teleporting
> Zerika
> tonight, nab him (assuming it's not Morrolan or equivalent), and
> brainwash
> him to think Castle Black is at the coordinates of the lesser sea.
> Better, implant the false info in him via witchcraft.

It is said that the Orb will act to save the life of the Emperor. (This is one of the things Mario learns when planning his assassination attempt on Tortaalik, IIRC.)  Who knows what form this would take if such means were used?

> Or - Vlad is able to teleport stuff via witchcraft in difficult
> circumstances, maybe a pro could teleport a bucket of amorphia into
> the throne room.

That might work, but I wonder what the bucket would need to be made of.