[Dragaera] The Desecrator [spoilers]

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 2 17:42:41 PST 2011

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Ken Koester wrote:

> On 3/2/2011 11:07 AM, Philip Hart wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Howard Brazee wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/03/the-desecrator
>>

>> Anybody know what this is?  Canonical Dragaera story?  Excerpt of the
>> coming novel?  Are the illustrations part of The Canon?
>
> It's by The Author (apparently), with characters we have met and know
> already.  Feels pretty canonic to me. [...]

Ok, the illustration at least is not canonic - Telnan has no noble's
point, and does have an incipient goatee.

I wondered if "desecrator" was meant to really refer to the sword, which
as we know is aimed in some way at the gods.

"Maybe as old as - um, as really old things" was pretty funny.  Telnan's
voice comes through very well.  The bit about being evil was quite
interesting, if not obviously true.

"the blip would scramble psychic communication outside the area"
I don't follow this.

I didn't entirely follow why they couldn't tunnel their way down via
teleporting.

"evidentially"?

I don't understand the point of the illusion.

"He was staring at me with all the expression of a Jhereg assassin."
Odd that he knows.

GWs are self-wielding?

"An ugly, unclean way to go."
Perhaps related to "desecrate".

"It was a good blade, made for me by Hennith two hundred years ago."
Presumably when he was born?

"You lie here for another ten thousand years."

That's not actually very long.  The Second Cycle was a few hundred Kyears
ago, if that's relevant.

"I did make the ground under their feet rise up"
Not sure why Nightslayer goes along with him after seeing this.

I'm guessing Telnan's message was a declaration of love or lust; the
latter would be a bit useless though.  Another option, "You set me up,
you !#^!&^*&*", seems too out of character.