[Dragaera] Prophecies (was Re: The Desecrator) [spoilers]

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Mon Mar 7 15:45:21 PST 2011

When Telnan first describes his mission to Daymar, he says: "...I'm here
looking for something I lost. ... I'll know it when I see it."  That's a
fairly odd phrasing.

For more odd phrasing, asee _Dzur_, page 41, when Vlad asks Sethra about
Telnan:
 "...Where did you find the Dzur?"
 "Telnan? Iceflame found him."
 "Oh."
 "Or, rather, Iceflame found his weapon."
 "Do I want to know?"
 "Yes, but I don't want to tell you."

Here's how I think these oddnesses fit together:

Telnan tries to kill Sethra.  Sethra stops him, and is preparing to turn
him into a newt (or whatever).  Iceflame interrupts her by pointing out
that Telnan fits the description of a prophesied Great Weapon holder.  (We
have a previous example, in _The Lord of Castle Black_, chapter 50, of
Sethra not remembering such a prophecy personally, but being reminded of
it.)

This prophecy would have contained some text along the general lines of
"When he has found that which he has lost, he will come into his true
power."  The only thing Telnan seems to have 'lost' in this story was "the
sword that was made for him".  And what he finds is also, albeit in a
rather different sense, "the sword that was made for him".  This sort of
tricksy language is typical of prophecies.

Alexx

"For the life of me, I've never understood why people dismiss
 the importance of "semantics" in communication. After all,
 if semantics had no purpleness, you'd slitheringly go bold
 at by-sit it I'm climbing."  -- Tangwystyl