[Dragaera] Tiassa and translation (spoiler)

Diana diana.neat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 09:21:05 PDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> 0
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6
> 7
> 8
> 9
>

> Something I now understand less is the introductory quality of the opening
> sections of many of the Texts.  Vlad's talking to one person, who doesn't
> need to be told about Loiosh being a flying lizard with four limbs or so
> forth, or doesn't need to be told twice even if he's on the other end of a
> transuniversal tube.

That's assuming that The Author is simply The Translator. I would
suggest that, as The Author translates and repackages materials
provided by Vlad, there is some manipulation in terms of making spoken
narratives more accessible to readers, such as the epigraphs, or the
arrangement of text in Dragon and Taltos, or that wacky bit where
Vlad's in three places at once in Issola. Or the laundry list in
Teckla--would Vlad really provide that, or is it simply an invention
by The Author, extrapolated from Vlad's recording to serve as a
narrative device?