[Dragaera] Tiassa and translation (spoiler)

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Sun Apr 24 15:22:54 PDT 2011

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
> wrote:
>> 0
>> 1
>> 2
>> 3
>> 4
>> 5
>> 6
>> 7
>> 8
>> 9
>>

>> Something I now understand less is the introductory quality of the
>> opening
>> sections of many of the Texts.  Vlad's talking to one person, who
>> doesn't
>> need to be told about Loiosh being a flying lizard with four limbs or so
>> forth, or doesn't need to be told twice even if he's on the other end of
>> transuniversal tube.
>
> That's assuming that The Author is simply The Translator. I would
> suggest that, as The Author translates and repackages materials
> provided by Vlad, there is some manipulation in terms of making spoken
> narratives more accessible to readers, such as the epigraphs, or the
> arrangement of text in Dragon and Taltos, or that wacky bit where
> Vlad's in three places at once in Issola. Or the laundry list in
> Teckla--would Vlad really provide that, or is it simply an invention
> by The Author, extrapolated from Vlad's recording to serve as a
> narrative device?

I have an essay on this subject written in my head that will eventually
get transcribed as part of Timeline 2.0.  It is clear to me that
Brust-the-translator is *also* Brust-the-editor, who has taken substantial
structural liberties with Vlad's raw material.

Alexx

"She caught me with another woman!  You're French,
 you understand that!"
      "To be wiss anozzer woman, zat is French.
       To be caught, *zat* is American."
      -- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels