[Dragaera] Tiassa and translation (spoiler)

Alexx Kay alexx at panix.com
Sun Apr 24 15:20:31 PDT 2011

> 0
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6
> 7
> 8
> 9
>

> Not sure if this has been discussed: So Sethra supposedly put Vlad in
> contact with the translator.

You might as well call him Steven Brust.  He's Brust-as-character, rather
than Brust-as-author, but the dual "About the Author" from FHYA, plus all
the linguistic footnotes to Paarfi credited to "SB", makes it pretty
clear.

> Something I now understand less is the introductory quality of the opening
> sections of many of the Texts.  Vlad's talking to one person, who doesn't
> need to be told about Loiosh being a flying lizard with four limbs or so
> forth, or doesn't need to be told twice even if he's on the other end of a
> transuniversal tube.

I've long assumed that Vlad's contact with Brust-the-translator are not
linear in time.  He knows that if he talks into the box, B-t-t will get it
at some point -- but that point may be before (from B-t-t's point of view)
other books that Vlad has already dictated.  That seems the simplest(!)
explanation for all of Vlad's variations on the phrase "I don't know if
you know this or not".

Alexx

"If I was applying this scale to, say, threatening puppets then Ambassador
 Kosh II gets an A, the Skeksis get a B, and those big full-body Muppets
 get a D (they're not that scary)."
                        -- BLAND Reviews