[Dragaera] Phrasing - (Very minor Tiassa spoiler)

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Apr 22 08:17:22 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-22 10:12, Scott Schultz wrote:
>> It works for me.   What do you get, smaller fonts with long e-mail
> messages?
>
> A large high-res screen (hence, more screen real estate, even with a 10-12pt
> font) with a similarly large-sized reading window. I'm a gamer, I typically
> run my monitor at 1280px x 960 when I'm not running it at 1600 x 1200.

Now that I'm on LCD, I don't get a choice about resolution (other than
at purchase time).  At least, not a useful choice.

Gamers tend towards high resolutions?  Interesting, I would have
expected the opposite (image is synthetic, so you're not really losing
anything, and it should increase frame rate).

I want high resolutions for photo work, though.

> I should probably consider myself the exception rather than the rule in that
> regard.
>
> In any case, a spoiler subject tag does me way more good than spoiler space
> line unless there are like thirty or more of them. Basically, if it says
> "spoiler" in the subject and you open it anyway, then spoiler space seems a
> bit moot at that point, anyway, but that's just me.
>
> I see spoiler space as a throwback to the days of text-based Usenet clients
> where you had no choice about viewing the first few lines of the next
> message in order to see the headers that warned you about the spoiler.
>
> It's just my little rebellion against what I see as an old-fashioned and
> obsolete convention. I'll continue to put it into my posts. Carry on. :-)

Lots of modern clients do small preview bits also; it's still useful.

Also, having the spoiler come up on the screen isn't automatically fatal
for me; I can sometimes stop my eye moving down the page before it gets
past the spoiler space.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info