[Dragaera] Arguing with Verra (and PH)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Wed May 4 17:59:11 PDT 2011

On Wed, 4 May 2011, Alexx Kay wrote:

> I just finished re-reading _Dzur_.  There's a scene in it where Vlad
> threatens Verra, and she responds with "I have said all I choose to say,
> and threats will not compel me to say more. Attempt to carry out your
> threat, and I will destroy you utterly."

As it happens, I just reread it as well.  Also _Iorich_.  Re another
thread of our conversation, there's interesting info in one or the other
about Vlad's interaction with the translator - basically that he has no
idea about what's on the other line.  Which I'm having trouble squaring
with what Vlad says in _Tiassa_, where at several points it sounds like
he's interacting with someone.

> I believe that Vlad has a Destined Role in Important Events -- but that
> that doesn't actually make him expendable.  If he ends up dying
> prematurely, Destiny will promote some other pawn into his role, or
> reshuffle responsibilities.  The plan can go on without him.  Destiny
> would probably prefer to keep Vlad around, but isn't bound by it.

The reason Vlad doesn't carry out his threat in _Dzur_ is LT, so he says.
So the same thing giving him power is keeping him from using it.  If he
tries to kill Verra, who in my interpretation is probably also not
expendable, then of course she'll take him out if she can - but the
Cycle doesn't have to worry about that by design.  Hence we learn nothing.

Also, maybe she lies.

> (That conversation with Verra also touches on another one of our arguments
> -- that of how much power can be brought to bear against the Jhereg.
> Verra flat-out states "I can't interfere with internal matters of one of
> the Great Houses... At least, not directly."  If a major goddess is so
> constrained, how much more is the Empress?)

She does interfere in a significant way of course.  And, well, just
because someone working next to the Cycle can't (or anyway won't) mess
with the Empire doesn't mean that the Empress can't.  I believe it's
called "plausible deniability".

Verra has been protecting Vlad's family, and maybe him, which may be
another instance of interference, unless he's no longer a Jhereg per
the Cycle - maybe according to it he's a Dzur at the time.

Maybe giving Zerika the orb is another instance.