[Dragaera] Arguing with Verra (and PH)

Steve Rapaport steve.rapaport at gmail.com
Wed May 4 18:11:42 PDT 2011

Naw, I don't think Vlad ever intended to kill Verra in Dzur.  He was just
being pissed off and smack-talking, and curious how she'd react.  He's an
assassin, not Dirty Harry.

If Vlad ever actually intended to kill Verra, there would have to be a
better reason than anger, and he'd plan it so she wasn't expecting it.

On 5 May 2011 01:59, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 May 2011, Alexx Kay wrote:
>
>  I just finished re-reading _Dzur_.  There's a scene in it where Vlad
>> threatens Verra, and she responds with "I have said all I choose to say,
>> and threats will not compel me to say more. Attempt to carry out your
>> threat, and I will destroy you utterly."
>>

> As it happens, I just reread it as well.  Also _Iorich_.  Re another thread
> of our conversation, there's interesting info in one or the other about
> Vlad's interaction with the translator - basically that he has no idea about
> what's on the other line.  Which I'm having trouble squaring with what Vlad
> says in _Tiassa_, where at several points it sounds like he's interacting
> with someone.
>

>  I believe that Vlad has a Destined Role in Important Events -- but that
>> that doesn't actually make him expendable.  If he ends up dying
>> prematurely, Destiny will promote some other pawn into his role, or
>> reshuffle responsibilities.  The plan can go on without him.  Destiny
>> would probably prefer to keep Vlad around, but isn't bound by it.
>>

> The reason Vlad doesn't carry out his threat in _Dzur_ is LT, so he says.
> So the same thing giving him power is keeping him from using it.  If he
> tries to kill Verra, who in my interpretation is probably also not
> expendable, then of course she'll take him out if she can - but the Cycle
> doesn't have to worry about that by design.  Hence we learn nothing.
>
> Also, maybe she lies.
>

>  (That conversation with Verra also touches on another one of our arguments
>> -- that of how much power can be brought to bear against the Jhereg.
>> Verra flat-out states "I can't interfere with internal matters of one of
>> the Great Houses... At least, not directly."  If a major goddess is so
>> constrained, how much more is the Empress?)
>>

> She does interfere in a significant way of course.  And, well, just because
> someone working next to the Cycle can't (or anyway won't) mess with the
> Empire doesn't mean that the Empress can't.  I believe it's called
> "plausible deniability".
>
> Verra has been protecting Vlad's family, and maybe him, which may be
> another instance of interference, unless he's no longer a Jhereg per the
> Cycle - maybe according to it he's a Dzur at the time.
>
> Maybe giving Zerika the orb is another instance.

\Steve