[Dragaera] Court Wizard crack? (Minor Tiassa spoilers)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 1 00:20:57 PDT 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> Tiassa Spoilers.
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6
> 7
> 8
> 9
> 10
> 11
> 12
> 13
> 14
> 15
> 16
> 17
>
> The middle section of /Tiassa/ introduces us to the heretofore unseen
> character Kosadr. We are informed that this character is the Court
> Wizard for Zerika IV.
>
> At one point in dialogue, Kosadr claims that he "has held his post for 20 years".
>
> However, the events in the section take place approximately 1 year after
> those depicted in /Issola/. In that story, Morrolan makes a joke about
> Zerika sending the "Court Wizard" to assist in the battle against the
> Jenoine, where he is referring to himself as the current holder of that
> position.
>
> On the face of it, this appears to be inconsistent with Kosadr holding
> the same post for 20 years prior. (Especially since Vlad indicates that
> prior to Morrolan, it had been Sethra the Younger who had held the
> post.)
>
> Any ideas?

Not sure this counts as an idea, but Kosadr says he's spent his term doing
scut work.  Perhaps there is a ceremonial position Court Wizard, a plum
appointment for the politically connected which involves casting a flashy
spell once a decade and drawing a nice paycheck once a month, and a
position Acting CW, an onerous, poorly-compensated duty awarded to those
sufficiently unprotected or inept at bureaucratic judo to avoid it.

This would have the advantage that Morrolan's joke would turn out to be
richer than we understood.