[Dragaera] Verra's Death

Jonathan Carey carey.jonathan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 10:39:40 PDT 2011

Out of my ramblings regarding Sethra, I had the idea that we could
spend a bit of time to think about the consequences and resulting
effects of Verra being destroyed by Godslayer.  In order to do that, I
think we need to determine at least 2 things:

What is the mechanism by which, and the extent to which, she is destroyed;
What Verra personifies.
(As an aside, should we investigate how her sisters interact with her
and how they might react/behave in her absence?)
(Another question of lesser importance is who decides "how much" to
kill her? Vlad, the wielder, or Teldra, the weapon?  These could be
importance because of the question of what might motivate them to make
that decision as well as their actual ability to carry out the
objective in a certain manner) I would expect that, since they are
inextricably bound together, that they would both have impact on the
unfolding of events.)

To "answer" the first, I think it's clear that Verra's death means at
least the inability to manifest on one or many planes connected in
some way to Dragaera; but I do not believe it is reasonable to assume
that this means that Verra will be totally destroyed.  She does after
all represent capriciousness, and that never goes out of fashion.  It
has already been shown that one can be banished from only a certain
part of a world without being banished from the whole world entirely.
Therefore any such destruction would probably result in her being
banished from somewhere Dragaera-related and not from Planet X
somewhere in the galaxy.

So let's take a look at the various locales:  Dragaera, the empire.
The Paths of the Dead.  The Halls of Judgement.  The Consortium of the
Gods.  The inner-space that seems to exist between the worlds, where
Devera likes to spend so much of her time.  The Halls of each
individual God, though obviously most specifically Verra's own Halls.
Then there's Jenoineburg.

If she is banished from Dragaera, I don't think it's unreasonable to
see a second "interregnum" of a more or less permanent (and more
extreme, ie, no more Elder Sorcery even) nature since she is after all
the over-arching Goddess responsible for magic as a whole (her two
sisters being responsible for Sorcery and Witchcraft).

If banished from the Paths of the Dead, or in fact anywhere
God-related (save her own halls, which have different implications) I
would suggest it's because her Godhood's been destroyed or hindered
from manifesting in this plane; ie, she may be a God somewhere, but on
Dragaera, she's just a multi-jointed freak :)  Ie, the Superman +
Kryptonite condition.  Kinda.  This option doesn't preclude the
aforementioned loss of sorcery in Dragaera.  Again, she embodies the
concept, so regardless of whether or not she's still able to appear on
Dragaera, Sorcery might yet become impaired/non-existent.

The inner-space:  I would suggest this is the most critical and also
the most likely setting where such a thing as the destruction of a God
might take place. What it might imply could be anyone's guess.  The
inability to exercise or execute the majority, if not all, of her
Godly powers/duties. For example, her "experiment" with Devera in
_Tiassa_ which involved circular reasoning to say the least; but she
made it work through Godhood I presume would likely have involved the
in-between worlds.  The same place where it seems Aliera went to have
Devera conceived.   Worlds of possibility more than actuality, in
other words.

Her own Halls:  If she is destroyed in her own halls, all bets are
off.  Her halls might be her metaphysical representation of her
potency and hence her very life-essence; or they may just be a
"house", and she can set up shop in a new one the very next day.

It's probably pointless to speculate about Jenoineburg since there's
no reason to believe that that would be the realm where she is
prevented from manifesting, though it is a possibility.

Which leaves the option that she follow the way of that god in that
Morrolan killed in _tVofA_ series.