[Dragaera] Timeline 2.0 is done

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Mon Aug 1 11:44:39 PDT 2011

Outstanding work, Alexx. The timeline is even more of a boon than it was in
its earlier incarnation.

One quibble, which may very well be my own take on things and not an "error"
- It was my impression that a "Reborn Phoenix" is NOT something that occurs
every cycle. Rather, it was the end-result of the Great Cycle.

My primary reason for thinking this is that there wouldn't be any Dragon
revolutions if they believed that a Decadent Phoenix always had to be
followed by a Reborn Phoenix.  It would be accepted wisdom that any such
revolt would be doomed to failure.

There's also Tortaalik's belief that he could avoid becoming a "decadent"
ruler if he applied himself to learning to be a good ruler. If every cycle
inevitably lead to a decline followed by a resurgence, in essence that a
Phoenix reign was always a two-ruler affair, then it would seem that the
ruler destined be the "decadent" ruler would find himself in a bit of a
pickle, psychologically speaking; doomed to be the "bad guy".

Essentially, the Phoenix ruler always becomes "decadent", for varying values
of "decadence" and this decline is what leads to the Dragon assumption of
the Throne. Indeed, Tortaalik is acutely aware that historically House
Dragon has a habit of taking even a slight appearance of incompetence as a
sign of "decadence" and thus an excuse to mount a revolution.

Tortaalik wouldn't have this historical awareness if every single Turn of
the Cycle resulted in a pairing of Decadent/Reborn Phoenices.

My reason for expounding on this is that it seems more appropriate to simply
list "Pheonix" as the #1 point on the Cycle, and then have a footnote
explaining about the Decadent/Reborn Phoenix. Certainly, if they WERE to
both be listed as they currently are, I'd put Decadent as spot 1 and Reborn
as 1-prime. I realize that when you view the Cycle as a wheel that it makes
no difference, but when you read it  as a "strip" that even though the two
Phoenices act as "bookends", that it also, to my mind, puts a kind of
precedence between them, with one seeming more important than the other.

Mostly, though, I think that with the possible exception of Zerika I, that
Zerika IV is the FIRST Reborn Phoenix and that we won't see another until
the next time a Great Cycle rolls around.